Welcome to my blog!

Dear all,

Welcome to my blog!


A place to think aloud. A place to say things without the fear of being branded as good or bad, right or wrong, moral or not.

A place to be just YOU!!

Enjoy your stay here and hope to have you back!!

Love,

Social Recluse







Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Attempt!!

A typical conversation that happens with me almost always.

"Hi, My name is Vinesh"
" Hi Vinesh, So where are you from, North Indian"?
" No, I am from Kerala, Vinesh Nair"
" What, are you a Mallu??"
" Yeah, I am one"
"Do you Smoke?"
"No"
"Do you drink?"
"No"
"Do you swim?"
"Errrr, I can paddle like a dog, but I am afraid normally people don't call that swimming"
" hmmmm, you don't have a moustache and curly hair, you don't smoke, you don't drink, nor can you swim and you don't sound like a Mallu. Interesting!!"

Now, I am not sure whether to take that as a compliment or as a complaint!!

I decided to do something about it. And no, I am not going to grow a moustache or getting curls in my hair, I am not taking the plunge into the world of smoke and nor am I going to drown myself into the intoxicating world of drinks, neither am I going to roll my "R" and my "L" the mallu way. So, what do I do so that atleast I have one thing in common with my Mallu brethen??

Yeah, you guessed it right. I have decided to have enough of paddling like a dog and do something which closely resembles swimming. So off I go in my search of a place where they can teach people like me who have suddenly gained too much inertia in the body and can cause lot of water displacement when such a body comes into contact with water at a certain velocity! ( phew, just recollecting my physics classes)

Good news awaited me. I had a olympic size swimming pool available very near to my house.( to be honest, the very mention of Olympic size swimming pool was playing on my minds whether to go or not). On further enquiry, found out that they don't allow paddlers like me anywhere near that pool. I was disappointed. No, not because I won't get to enter the pool, but because I won't be able to even see it!!

The Gachibowli Stadium which houses the swimming pool along with other sporting facility, gives out only 200 forms for a month at 7am,on 5th of every month. I was told by lot of people to reach there early because there is quite a rush for these forms and also because summer is approaching. Having missed these deadlines consistenly for almost 3-4 months, I don't take any chance. I set a foolproof alarm( my wife). I was sure, she would be more than happy to kick me out of the house at an unearthly hour also.  Set other alarms as a back up option.

So on 5th morning, the foolproof alarm, manages to kick me out of the house by 5:30am. I think, come on, the forms will be given at 7am. Who on earth would come so early, the winter is still visible in the early mornings, to take the forms. It is ok to reach there by 6:30 and I will still be in the early 50s of the stipulated 200 forms. Anyways, I drive down, and in ten mins i reach the stadium. While I was parking my car, I could see lot of people sitting which seemed like a serpentine queue. I park my car, go to the Mr.Big Moustache security guard and asks " Bhaiya, form kaha milega". He gives me a once over and then says, pl go and sit in the queue. That was a first, always heard of " Go stand in the queue" but " sit in the queue???"". I am sure he would have been able to read my thoughts perfectly( thank god I did not think of any cuss words for him) because he told me," Sir, there are nos written on the pavement, pls go and sit on any no that is available. Ok, that explains the "sitting in the queue bit". So I go towards the place where I don't see people. On reaching closer to that place, I see, bottles, handkerchiefs, bags, and anything which seemed to tell that somebody has reserved the place..

So I move on and finally reach a place which seemed to be end of the line and I proudly plonk my prosterior on the lucky no.Having reached at 5:45am on a Saturday( 5th Feb, 2011), I was the no. 114. Yes, I was bloody 114.!! Damn it Man!!. By 6am, all 200 positions were taken. It was funny to see people sitting on those pavements waiting for the Coach to appear like a God, carrying the forms. By, 7am, the tension was palpable as people were seen to become impatient as if waiting for a train, whose arrival was announced some 10 mins ago. Some Pseudo Educated Morons- the tribe who are educated but are not literate at all, were seen moving around trying to grab a place,like the land sharks. So much for education!

Anyways, God ,I mean the Coach,appears at 7:05am carrying the prasad, I mean the forms. All devotees, I mean the people who have come for the forms, stand up in respect when they see God approaching them to give out the forms. God is suddenly angry and shouts on some devotees. The reason: Between no.1-10, there are 15 people.Hmmm..well we are known to an all accmodating country aren't we??. Thankfully God decides not to give forms for those land sharks who had accomodated themselves. I see God approaching me, but hey wait, he wants something from the devotees. oh ok, Rs.10 for the form. On receiving the form from God, I hand over Rs.10 to him, which he does not even look at, his followers take it from my hand, hand me a paper which says, that they are not responsible for any mishap when I swim.Hmmmm, not very encouraging!! Another card where I am supposed to stick my "Wanted" photo. They also want a birth certificate to know whether I am above 18 or not. I was over the top and took that as a compliment for my age defying looks, but then I realise that this is a common practice. Damn Damn Damn.!!

So I take the forms, and off I go home because I cannot submit it on that day and have to come back on either Monday or Tuesday.

The remaining part of me trying to have one quality of a mallu will continue in the next part!!

Love,

Social Recluse!!




11 comments:

  1. just thoroughly loved this ! looking forward to more now ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SK,

    Well thats too much of expectation setting in!! will try to do a gud job next time around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha ..... so wonderfully depicted, man ....well try to do a good job once u get inside the swimming pool buddy ... and would there be a similar process for submitting the form as well? and p'haps an even longer step to get an actual plunge into the water? who knows? well m sure if you really love your mallu brotherhood then you wouldn't leave any single stone unturned till u take the (holy) dip. bravo buddy!

    btw a big hug to Ramya for her kick boxing skill. Love her more now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm, await the next one post. will talk about the dip,holy or not u can decide!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious! I am naming this " Missionary moves to becomes a Mallu".

    Please let me know when I can call you "Unni Vinesh Mon"!

    Fulll Cherzssssss!

    Mukund

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adipoli Narration....Mone Dinesha :)
    Eagerly waiting for the next part

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vinesh very good narration!! looking forward to similar anecdotes as your swiming classes progress.

    Pseudo Educated Morons- or the "padhe likhe gawar" is a ever growing tribe and even though people are putting their children through "international" schools they are as the saying goes in Gujarati "Bhanela che pan ganela nathi" that really irks me. Another tribe that we unknowingly are part is the stereotyping and racist tribe. I dont know why we call white people (firangis) racist while the fact remains that we(Indians) are the most racist people in the world. For example in your typical conversation labelling people from north or south and then further fine tuning the labels with caste, creed, area locality and such stuff. Did you also notice the stereotyping that goes with this kind of labelling I really find it funny.

    Would love to hear your witty comments on these kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope to relive this all as I start from my home today at 2AM in the night. I had almost dropped for today but Vinesh's splendid narration ignited the spark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anonymous ( wonder why) :)

    all the best! carry some blankets and a jug of tea and snacks also. you might make some money selling tea and snacks as there are none in sight! :P

    all the best!

    ReplyDelete